Thursday, March 3, 2011

Feb 3 - March 3; Not your typical month

I'm going to share something very dear to my heart here.

In spite of our "best laid plans", we'd missed something important. I had even written out a list of important things that needed to be done before we could ask the Lord to light the way for our new journey....but we missed a big one that HE had for our list: Joel needed his heart fixed. We didn't know; now we do. It took a whole month in the hospital and will take at least another eight weeks recovery and follow up before we can check that one off of the list. But gratefully, we will check it off.

Each time Joel has been hospitalized for surgeries or other serious illnesses, there has been a time during his stay when I feared we would lose him. It's like a fear that comes into my throat and stops my speech, stops my heart. I've learned from these experiences that beyond all that I and the doctors and nurses can do at these times, I have to prayerfully, mentally and emotionally hand him over to God. He is the best parent of all, He knows the plan for Joel's life, He is ready and waiting to help; He is the Master Life Flight operator. (In spite of my limited vision, God and his angels write between the lines to fix things.)
This hospitalization, there were a couple of those really scary times; first, the day of surgery. My help came through faith in a blessing given to Joel that morning, assisted by the heart surgeon; we had the assurance that the doctors would be guided and Joel's heart would be healed.
Taking into consideration all that his surgery entailed (!!) and how his heart has recovered, this blessing was fulfilled.
The other time we had to completely hand him over to God was the night of February 23rd. Joel was so tired and seemed so depressed, struggling with his lungs. He looked at me differently, meaningfully, with such tired, sad eyes around his bi-pap mask that I immediately felt moved to say aloud, "I love you Joel! I love you! It's okay for you to sleep, it's okay for you to rest now."
Mike and I communicated earnestly that night, encouraging each other to be strong in faith and to trust him to the Lord. From the beginning, Joel's life has touched many hearts. I prayed as always, for God's will to be done...and I mentally placed Joel in the Lord's arms.

Now that we're home again, we give thanks for the unusual month that was just plucked out of our year...that our plans stopped so that Joel's heart wouldn't. I know that there is much ahead, Joel's lungs still have a long way to go to be well and all of the children have many needs. I pray for God and his angels to continue to minister to us and ours, to fill in what we don't know, to remind us what we've learned and to help us understand.

My love to all who followed, prayed, fasted and participated with us in this chapter of our lives!

As we pulled out of the hospital parking garage with Joel buckled into his car seat this evening, Joel told Papa, "RUN!"

Love,
Dolores

2 comments:

BJ Barnes said...

Joel looks thinner in this photo, to me. I remember you saying he'd lost 10 lbs. at one point. I wonder how much he's lost total, from all of this?
I bet that's so nice for him to get that welcome-home hug from Timmy! :)

Shelly Turpin said...

I was really, really worried. I've sat in those seats and walked in those shoes. I was stalking this blog waiting (but hoping not)for news that Joel had ended his mortal probation. What a strong fighter he is - so like my sweet Bella. How grateful I am that he has pulled through. How grateful I am that y'all were sustained during this time. How grateful I am that there is a merciful Father to help us through these times. My daughter and I have talked so much about trials of late. While I would never have chosen for Bella to endure all she has, I am grateful for all the times my Father has held us and helped us along the way. Becca put this song on our blog yesterday. http://www.turpinfamily.cc/2011/03/another-song-we-love.html
Y'all continue in my thoughts and prayers.
Yeah for you Joel, welcome home. God bless you.