Three years ago on the 11th of April, my mother passed away because of cancer. She'd been sick since that January, and had gradually stopped being able to eat very much. In March the surgeon went in to take out her gall bladder. The surgeon found that there was cancer and it had spread throughout her body. A rare cancer of the gall bladder, which we learned is a commonality between Jews and Native Americans. Native American heritage is in her geneology.
My vibrant Mama was losing abilities so quickly, we were all in shock and denial. After two weeks she came home on hospice...she had one fair day on Thursday when several of us kids gathered and sang to her and she was awake for most of that... then she passed away on Saturday morning, the day before Easter that year.
Losing Mama was very hard. Three years later, remembering Mama during all of her healthy years is still a joy. She was a loving person, always hugging and bringing into her embrace her kids, grandkids, great-grandkids and many, many other people. I know she's in a wonderful place now, busily helping in the Lord's work. I often feel her influence when I'm down or maybe not being as patient as I should be. Mama was a wonderful example. I love you, Mama!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What a wonderful post, Dolores! Beautiful photo and heartfelt words! I had no idea she has American Indian in her genealogy. If she does, than we must too! How exciting! :)
Is it from Grandpa's line? :)
Love you! :) XO
Thank you, BJ!, hugs to you. Yes, we do, on Grandpa Flint's side.
That's kind of exciting!! :) I knew about my Irish (from both sides) and Sweedish from my dad's line, but had no ideah we had a little Indian in us!! :) I wonder what the percentage is? :)
I always loved her hugs! How her eyes always had a kind smile in them!! I too loved her. What a wonderful feeling to know we will see her again!
I had been missing her a lot lately too. I hadn't made the connection with the time of year.
BJ, she said her native American history is through her ancestor Phoebe Jane Gibson. Her mother shows ancestry lines back to Europe, but her father, John Gibson, has no record that I've seen of parentage, though I think it's been 3 years now since I looked into it. Still, Gibson was one of the most common names taken by the Saponi tribe (or Shawnee, I believe) in Kentucky in the 1700's and 1800's.
Phoebe Jane's grandmother is also a mystery. Phebe's grave marker can be viewed online, though, outside Terre Haute, Indiana.
Thanks for that info' Janina! :)
Post a Comment