Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Back in school!

Joel is back in school! He has been so excited to get on the bus in the mornings yesterday and today, and to share what he's brought home in his backpack! He was really tired out yesterday and slept most of the evening.

As the days are feeling more like spring we have been able to take the kids outside and play on the slide and take little outings again. I'm SO happy to sweep winter off the calendar and break out their T-shirts and spring jackets!

Ella is adorable in her new little summer shoes and she's such a funny girl! She spotted a mirror yesterday in the shoe store and sat right down in front of it and laughed and made faces at herself--we had a hard time getting her to leave it to walk so that we could see if the shoes fit right. Infant size 5.

Last night Lora and her friend Xiao Hua ("Sarah") taught the little kids a cute little Chinese song that teaches babies to name their eyes, nose, etc. Timmy loved it and clapped wildly for himself at every opportunity! Lora volunteer teaches English as a Second Language at the community college twice a week, so we are blessed to get to meet some of her friends that she meets there. One of the best parts is that we also get to learn something about their culture...and Sarah has shared some authentic Chinese cooking with us! Another thing we've recently learned is that Lora talks in her sleep... in Chinese!

3 comments:

BJ Barnes said...

I thoroughly enjoy hearing about the sweet, fun things your kids are doing! :)
Lucky you to be saying winter is behind you! We actually had SNOW over the last weekend! I've never seen snow here in April! We heard on the news that western WA actually had snow in April 25 years ago but I wasn't here then, so I have no recollection of it! I grew up here and never had snow that late! Even snow in March was very unusaul!
We're hopeful that was winter's last hurrah and we can get back to enjoying spring! :)
Everyone's getting anxious for the ground to dry out so we can till and plant our gardens, and do yard work! :)
Love Ya! :)
Love,
BJ :)

junglemama said...

Your kids sound so precious. Thanks for taking the time to blog and share about it.

Sarah said...

Kinda funny reading this post. My name is Sarah and my son's chinese name is Xiao Hua. Do you know where little "Sarah" Xiao Hua is from in China? I know there was a girl at one point at Ian's orphanage with the same name.