Friday, April 11, 2008

Talking in sentences

When kids learn to talk it's always so fun hearing what they'll say. It's especially fun when learning to talk has taken a little longer...

With Joel, we don't need to wonder what he's thinking because he does a lot of "self-talk" lately. For instance, at the lab the other day when two different people poked him in two different places trying to get blood and a third person was going to try again, I had to tell him "It didn't work, Joel, they have to try again," he was so good. He sat up and watched the whole thing with me holding his hand and said, "No be scared, Joel, no be sad, no cry!" Then as it was happening he scrunched up his face and said, "I sorry!" and when it was finally working he said, "Alright! Good job!" and when it was finished he chuckled that relieved chuckle (like when you finally hit the pillow at the end of a very long day) as they taped the gauze on and he said, "All DONE! Now go home!" Then he walked straight into the lab's reception office where his sticker book lay open where he'd left it and found several new stickers waiting for him to put in it. The staff loves him so much they spoil him.

This morning as we were eating breakfast Joel said, "Whata' you doing Joel? Eating toast? Eating Eggs? Why you drinking milk Joel?" Then he said (in hopeful suggestion to us to put a movie in), "Shrek Fird? Oh, okay! Sweet!"

He cracks us up!

3 comments:

Harward said...

I love your writing. Its so nice to read what you are up to. Your life with those cute kids is so interesting. You should write a book! I would definately read it!

Christina said...

Dolores,

I am so glad that you have started a blog about your family! I love reading about them...and you always have such a wonderful way of writing your posts, like I am right there with you! I really relate to your "movie in your head" post...I do that too, to hold on to those moments that I would love to freeze in time and remember always. Thanks for sharing your beautiful family!

Christina
RR Group

Mamapierce said...

That is so so cute! I think Joel is a little doll! It's nice to meet you! I finally made an adoption blog:

http://foreverfamilyadoption.blogspot.com/

Where did you adopt your angels from? (which country)