Monday, November 24, 2008

Lora and Ella share birthdate: Nov. 23


Lora Jean and Ella Rose were born on the same day, 18 years apart. When we were still waiting to hear who we would eventually adopt, I had a feeling that we would know something by Lora's birthday time. Well, that day came and passed... without any news. :o(

But a couple weeks later I had a call from a social worker that we had been chosen to adopt a tiny baby girl that had been born one month early... on Lora's birthday!!!

It's a tradition in our family that if a baby is born on one of the kids' birthdays, that sibling gets to help name the baby. I asked Lora what she would name her and she promptly replied, "Ella".

That was three years ago! It's hard to believe!

Lora had her birthday party on Saturday night and had a couple of friends and a lot of family over. We had Ella's party with family over on Sunday night. I'll try to show the birthday girls individually to do justice to each... it may be hard to limit the photos but I'll try!

I'm going to do photos of Lora first, and post Ella's in the morning.

Lora drawing before she learned to walk!

Papa holding Lora high. Having Lora in our family has always been like having Christmas every morning!

Mikelle ("Kelly"), Katie Curtis, Milly and Lora Jean. For the first couple of years Lora and Kelly's eyes were green and then they turned brown.

Our little Valentine. Always full of personality!

From top left: Mikelle, Lora. Bottom left: Laura Mitchell, Robin.
Lora, Mikelle and Robin are each about 16 months apart.

Lora with Joel on his first Christmas.

Celebrating Ella's adoption day. Lora is wonderful with kids!

Recent photo of Joel and Lora.

Lora opening present from Wilson (he wrapped it many times!).

Some of the group at Lora's birthday party.

Lora blowing out candles.

Happy birthday Lora, you are a wonder and a hope!!!

Love,
Mama and Papa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That picture of Lora with the silly hat and thermometer in her mouth reminds me of Collin. Partly because of the dimples, and partly because he seems to run around shirtless a lot of the time, too, but mostly because she's standing like, "I know I am SO funny!" and that is SO Collin, too.
She called tonight because she was thinking about Collin. It was nice to talk to her.
-Janina