Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 13

It was a long day. For the most part things continued much as before, except he was very tired and didn't seem to have the calm attitude of yesterday; both lungs are compromised, the left worse but a little better this morning; efforts are still focused on that left lung. He's getting lots of the vest treatments and was required to stand and move his feet up and down several times today. He had an ultrasound on his lungs. He sat up for long periods twice.


He also had a physical therapist work with him a little, but he barely tolerated it by then. She'll be back in the morning. It seems like he just gets to sleep and somebody else wakes him up. The nurses say he's a very good patient. But his little puppy dog eyes around the mask seem to say to me that he's so very tired of all of it.
The lines/IVs were taken out of Joel's hands and wrists this afternoon and within a few minutes he understood that he could use his hands again...and pulled the NG tube and later disassembled his mask tubing. Extra X-rays ensued to make sure the NG tube was back in the right place...Reglan to help it uncoil and go back into intestine (which worked!), and the little DVD player was set up in Joel's reach to help keep those hands busy with pushing buttons.

I'm emotional at times and step behind the curtain because I hate to see him suffer such trials... and why as an innocent child?... I don't know how long it will continue... I'm grateful for the progress he's attained... and I miss Mike and family life.

We're counting on your continued support and prayers, it means so much to us!

Sleep well.
Dolores

www.wynkoopfamily.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh I hate that y'all are still there. It is really, really hard to live in the hospital watching your child suffer and being so far away from family - you want to be in both places. Prayers for all of you. How I hope for the best and y'all all home again soon.