Some of you have asked me how Joel is doing. It's kind of hard to explain. He is more medically fragile than before, ever since he was in Congestive heart failure in Feb 2011 and had to have a larger artificial valve put in. His lungs, asthma and heart issues keep him from exercising very much, his immature chewing ability and extremely limited food choices add to his weight problem; it's a vicious cycle. He isn't growing in height, his weight goes up and down only a little, some is water weight. Cold and hot weather trigger his problems as do exertion and illness.
Joel was in crisis Friday by the time I arrived home from taking Timmy to the dentist, his PA alerted me by text moments before I got there. As the evening progressed he got worse and was eventually ambulanced to Children's from our local hospital (again), where we were finally able to settled in at 5:00 am to sleep. Joel needed a tune-up, and was then sent home again. Easter Sunday was necessarily a day of rest.
Here's the way it seems, the way I interpret what the doctors said: The new normal for Joel's lungs is abnormal; his heart has another stenosis, we learned about that last month. He's on oxygen on and off in the days, always at night at varying liters, along with his bipap.
There are days when I feel like sobbing in great bursts but I mustn't. I know that Heavenly Father knows the number of Joel's days and what he needs to accomplish here. I KNOW that, I have a testimony of it, the Holy Ghost has born witness of this to me. But it's very hard to see your child suffer repeatedly, and never know when it will strike again. He cries out in his exhausted airy voice when they're struggling to get an IV into his weary veins again, and quotes, "Gimme a chance!" or "It not fair!" and I'm standing there helping to hold him. I wish I could change things for him. I REALLY do!
Oh my Joel boy, little Mister, how we love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Oh Dolores, this is heart breaking. I'm so sorry for Joel and for all of you. You're such a strong woman, but I can tell by this post you're dragging and with plenty of reason. Praying for strength for you and Joel..
Oh Delores, I am in tears for you! I didn't realize how poorly Joel has been. I am so sorry. I want you to know that I will be praying for him endlessly! I can't even think about him saying "Gimme a chance" without tears welling up. Bless his little heart! Hugs to you Delores,
Love, Amy
So sorry to hear of Joel's continued struggles. I was thinking all was well and was surprised to hear he'd been rushed to the hospital.
Hang in there Dolores. Your words of faith are absolutely correct.
Prayers are with you.
P.S., Have I told you lately that I love you!? :) XO
Oh poor Joel! I am so sorry Dolores! I cried reading this and I have yet to meet him in person! Though I feel like I have because of fb and your blog. Love you guys hang in there!
Dolores, I had no idea Joel was not doing well. I am on and off the internet because of Zech's illnesses. I know your heart and how you feel. I pray for your strength, for you and your family to have a hedge of protection around you. May the Lord lay his healing hands on Joel. There must be some people at the hospital that need to be witnessed to. Joel is changing lives right now. So are you. I praise God for your opportunity and also ask that his will be fulfilled quickly so you and Joel can rest. Because of Christ....Rhonda
I wish I could just give him my heart, literally-as he's always had it figuritivly. I asked Dr.Frommelt, his heart surgeon while he was inutero, if that was possible & she told me it wasn't medically ethical. Stupid ethics, I'd do it in a second. The thing that has always made me feel comforted is that he has you guys-I don't know that I'll ever be able to fully explain what that means to me. Love you all & tell Joelbug he's the best thing I ever did:)
You have my love too, Erin. You are so very dear to us! Thank you is not enough.
Thank you, Linda. Praying for strength for you, too, I admire you so much.
Amy, don't cry or you'll make me cry, lol. Thank you for praying for Joel! Hugs to all of you.
Prayers really help! Thank you, you're so good to support me the way you do, dear cousin, I love you too!
Sheana, you're so sweet. Thank you!
I didn't know you were experiencing illnesses with Zech too, I'm so sorry! I think you are right, people's lives are touched by these little ones, they can't help but be. Even the ENT in the ambulance will remember Joel forever. The nurses burst out that they love him after only knowing him five minutes. He makes us smile.
Post a Comment